Subject: Re: Vs: [Leica] digital experience
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 11:03:47 -0500

Not that I totally agree with Alexander The Great ( :-) ) , but....The
digital/silver issue is quite different from the B&W/v color or painting v photo
debates: digital printing, and digital capture, can be black and white or color.
The difference between digital and traditional film capture is that digital
capture provides instantaneous gratification - it allows the prols to see their
happysnaps at once, and to upload free copies to grandma and uncle ernie; it
allows the pros with the proper equipment to send their breaking news photos
direct from the killing fields of Rawanda, or the floor of the Tokyo stock
exchange, to the photo desk of the NYTimes, enabling them to make deadline. The
important question, then, is whether digital quality is the equal of film
quality...for a particular job. There seems little question that for newspaper
quality reproduction, digital definitely cuts it. In terms of fine art, probably
not. In terms of what Leica enthusiasts demand of their photography in terms of
lines per inch, etc. etc. etc., no. But the future is coming soon, even if it is
not now.

Will film totally disappear - no more than painting has. But it will eventually
occupy a very small niche in the art form we call photography.

B. D.