Subject: Re: Marmite (was RE: [Leica] Pre)
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 10:02:58 +0800

Marmite (which I can eat but rarely choose to) has a taste reminiscent of
that dried up gunk at the top of a messy ketchup bottle. Since its British
creators thought it might stop people asking what it is made from they chose
a French name for it: reminds me of an old Private Eye cartoon where the
astonished diner sees what he has ordered as the snooty waiter unveils the
platter, saying "Yes monsieur, it is a deep fried telephone directory: we
gave it a fancy French name, you ordered it and here it is".

Even here in China there are resourceful traders who bring the stuff in and
charge top prices for it. Who knows there might be a billion pieces of toast
being lathered with the stuff right now. Now there's a picture story I
should be out shooting (with my Leica).
- --
Adrian Bradshaw
Corporate and Editorial Photography