Subject: Re: [Leica] Toronto and bloody cold, Aw Heck that is nothing!
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 07:57:02 -0700

You are right that it gets VERY dry here. At -30 C, forecast for Saturday
night, there is no humidity. Any moisture freezes out as ice crystals. Sun
dogs and even moon dogs being the order of the day/night. Now having said
that, I have never heard of any problems related to static electricity. I
take the usual precautions and manually rewind my film or at least I used to
when I had a motorised rewind. Today's electronics seem to be very well
shielded and the local camera shops have reported few problems. It helps
that the new cameras are largely shelled with non-metallic composite
materials. Batteries and meters are another matter entirely. I have always
wanted to try the old Nikon "cold" pack for the F3 on my M. Anyone out there
know if the battery compartment thread is the same between an M and a F3?
This will be my TTL's first winter and I am curious to see how it does now
that I have the apple juice cleaned out of the shutter release.

There are benefits to this seasonal madness. Sunrise and sunsets are now
conveniently taking place in mid morning and mid afternoon, no more missed
meals getting the perfect light. Not much of a sunrise/set person myself but
my fellow photographers all appreciate the extra calories. The sun also
stays fairly low in the sky giving pretty nice light all day and no harsh
noon shadows. The snow acts as a wonderful fill, lighting the eye sockets
without flash. In Edmonton we get less total daylight time but most of that
is sunshine, none of that nasty endless heavy overcast Ted, Tom and Henning
get on the coast. Yuck :-).

Cheers,

John Collier