Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Sherry Krauter testimonial
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 12:10:27 -0500

> Does anyone know if Leica (or anyone else) currently trains people in the
> repair of of the older bodies, or even the current M bodies?
>
>  I wonder if Leica (or anyone) still trains
>
>> I think it will be tragic to let these skills die out!
>
> So true.
>
> It's almost as if building things by hand is going to become a better way
> to do things again -- at least in terms of cash flow.  Are we coming
> full circle here?  Maybe the days of M3-like quality are coming back.  If
> enough people cut enough corners and produce products of low enough
> quality, it might create the demand for high quality for which we're all
> looking!
>
> --Andrew
> NO ARCHIVE

It is interesting to look at the example of the craft of wooden boat
building 30 years ago it was virtually dead. But enough people around the
world decided that wood technology was to good to let die in favor of
fiberglass boats (you can compare to modern auto-everything cameras). So
schools and apprenticeships have started up to teach the craft of wooden
boat building so that now it is once again a substantial industry. Maybe
some people, Sherry, DAG, whomever could hook up with a similiar program.
Leica and us users could really benefit from something like a Leica School.

Steve
Annapolis
(Leica and wooden boat owner)