Subject: Re: [Leica] Homicide and photography
From: Stanislaw Stawowy <stanislaw_stawowy@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 17:44:08 -0800 (PST)

Marc wrote:

> I presume you mean Dresden;  Leipzig was bombed,
> but not nearly as severely as was Dresden.
> The proven casualties at Dresden were around
> 40,000, despite the efforts of revisionists
> to pump this up over the years.  (Some
> of those wounded were from work details of
> US POW's, including Kurt Vonnegut.)  The
> accepted death-toll for Hiroshima was around 75,000.

You are right. I wrote this being ill and having a
high temperature, what unfortunately still is the
case. Didn't check before sending. Was mean Dresden.
And all reports about people being burned in basements
and in such a state that rescuers found only lakes of
fat with bones somewhere.

Death- toll of 75 thousands for Hiroshima includes
those who died because of radiation. But Dresden was
biggest one-time murder.

> And, yes, there was an extremely good military
> reason to bomb Dresden -- it was then the
> major undamaged train junction in Germany.
And of course necessed and most important phase for
destroying train junction was to bomb whole city. And
as far as I remember, military effects of this bombing
run weren't as big as expected?

Marc. I would like, I beg for even a slightest reason
to believe that something like examples given by me
and thousands of others are impossible now. That
people have changed even a little.
But all I see is the same world, I see that nothing
changed at all. All these books, all photos made by
photographers who gave their lives in defence of and
in exchange for their ideas were for void.

I am 24 years old. And I don't see many reasons to
look at all this again and again. More - I don't see a
way to change this. Maybe I should look for some
wartime assigment and at least try to explain
something to all these people, whose ears are so
closed, whose eyes are so blind?

Or maybe I am simply writing stupid things, all the
world is full of nice people and I should quit?
Anyway, this is a bad subject for Christmas. Sorry.

              St.