Subject: [Leica] country of origin
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 07:02:00 +0100

From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Subject: Re: [Leica] country of origin
At 08:46 AM 12/7/2000 +0100, Robert Appleby wrote:

>Wrong, Marc, I'm afraid.
>For the cultural underpinnings of German anti-semitism:
>
>Hannah Arendt: The Origins of Totalitarianism
>Daniel <forget last name>: Hitler's Willing Executioners.
>
>And many more, I'm sure.

This has absolutely nothing to do with this thread nor with my earlier
posting.  The thread concerned itself with a comparison of selection
criteria used in Nazi and Soviet mass murders.  While anti-semitism was a
criteria used by both groups, the origin of anti-semitism has no bearing on
the discussion.

Hence, I wasn't "wrong", fearful though you may be!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!
<<<<

Well, I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post. I understood you to say that
antisemitism in Germany was a primarily political phenomenon, in contrast
to the Soviet Union, where culture was the determining factor. I was
pointing out that in fact, in Germany, anti-semitism was very much a
feature of the culture which the political movement fed off.
Rob.

Robert Appleby