Subject: [Leica] Beware! Leica USA's deceptive practice. Part I
From: louzan@juno.com
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 16:09:34 -0500

A month and a half ago, I purchased a New 50mm Summicron-m.  The dealer
told me that the lens carried the 3-year passport warranty, and that I
was eligible for the $150 manufacturer rebate.  leica faxed him a rebate
form, after confirming that the rebate had been extended to Jan. 2001.
I filled the warranty card, made copies of the rebate slip and sales
receipt, and sent them to Leica USA.  Imagine my surprise when I receive
an envelope from Leica USA containing the copies I sent them, all
scribbled, saying that the lens is not eligible for rebate since it is
old stock.
 I called Leica USA.  I was told that yes indeed that was the case, and
that it was most likely an honest mistake by the dealer.  They could not
even tell me if the passport was good for two or three years.  Mistake or
not, I explained to them that under no circumstance would I had purchased
this lens knowing it was not eligible for rebate.  They said that
unfortunately they could not do anything, and that I should contact the
dealer.
Now before I purchased this lens two dealers told me that it was eligible
for rebate.  Even Leica's rebate form faxed to the dealer fails to
mention this.  I think I have every right to be pissed off and I will
take Leica USA to small claims court if necessary.  More when the dealer
gets back to me.

Robert

Replies: Reply from "Wilber Jeffcoat" <wilber@jeffcoatphotography.com> (Re: [Leica] Beware! Leica USA's deceptive practice. Part I)