Subject: Re: Vs: [Leica] digital experience(very long)
From: "Dave Richards" <dprichards@qwest.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 07:03:02 -0700

This reminds me of the discussion surrounding the disappearance of vinyl
when digital audio became available.

Digital audio promised "perfect sound forever" and some folks actually
believed them.  A great many people put aside their collections of vinyl
recordings and their turntables.  That is, until they discovered that first
generation CD's sounded lifeless and colorless.  The CD's themselves and
the reproduction equipment weren't up to the promise of perfect sound.

Vinyl is making a comeback, at least emong enthusiasts, and high-end
turntables have never been more popular.  The low end crap has disappeared,
but that's never a bad thing.

I expect silver-based to be somewhat similar.  For the mass-media and
proles digital will be "good enough" because it's quick and has certain
virtues.  But emthusiasts will demand silver-based for quite a while to
come.  I'm not planning on selling my Leicas or any other "old fashioned"
cameras and I will continue to maintain and expand on my darkroom proficiency.

But you can take this for what it's worth.  In the days of word processors
and email I still prefer to create letters using an old fashioned fountain
pen with real ink.

Dave

At 03:08 PM 12/6/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Steve:
>
>> I agree in part about what Steven says in his post (below) that film
will be
>> going away. It already has in most forms of distribution such as
>> documentaries, educational films, etc, etc. Talk to any film lab and they
>> will tell that print sales are dead replaced by video tape and now DVD.

Dave Richards
dprichards@qwest.net
Note:  If you have emailed me at:

dprichards@uswest.net

Please change your address book entry to my new address:

dprichards@qwest.net

Replies: Reply from Borja Marcos <borjamar@sarenet.es> (Re: Vs: [Leica] digital experience(very long))
Reply from "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com> (Re: Vs: [Leica] digital experience(very long))