Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: {Leica] Old Fashioned?
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:47:13 -0500

Apropos warm beer....
I was curious to know if the Bass Ale of which I think was the real stuff-
bought in Canadia, and not the wimpy sop imported to the US is browed with
the 'top' yeast that English beer is wont to be made.
I understand that the US beer is made with what they call 'bottom' yeast,
that brews at a reduced temperature- usually under refrigeration, and thus
the beer tastes best when cold.
English beer and ale are brewed with 'top' yeast, less anaerobic, and
working at a warmer temperature- 40-55 degrees F (Room temperature in some
places!) and thus tastes better, and has more flavour when consumed at the
warmer temperatures.
Is this right? Nicht War?
Personally, ICE COLD BEER is not all that enjoyable- I like a good malty,
hops flavored brew- like our local Red Oak Amber (Unfiltered- you can
actually see the vitamins and other nutrients floating in it!- like
cornflakes in a mug!) at a modest 40 degrees or so- cool, but not so cold as
to paralyze the taste buds.
Very enjoyable while talking about Leicas and photography!! (on topic bit!)
Dan ( The Falstaffian Rogue of Photography) Post