Subject: Re: [Leica] Film for school play
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:29:18 -0800

Simon Lamb wrote:

> I will be photographing the school play for our local school which will be
> held in an assembly hall.  I have been told that there will be no light
> apart from the stage spotlights, which I assume will be halogen.
>
> Can anyone share their experience of working in such lighting with regard to
> the best type of film.  I will probably take an ISO800 film (colour neg)
> with my M6, the 35 f/2, 50mm f/2 and Noctilux.  I expect to be no less than
> thirty feet from the stage and possibly further back than that.  I have a
> some Portra 800 and Supra 800 in the fridge at home, but I am open to being
> guided by those who have worked in these conditions and have real world
> experience of different types of film.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Simon

I believe stage spotlights are tungsten not halogen. tungsten is about 400K
warmer i think than "halogen".
I had a regular account in which i had to do such shot once a month.
After awhile i switched from a Kodak tungsten color neg film to a Fuji daylight
and got better results anyway.
But I'd test the new tungsten films some have just come out in the last few
months for the ones with the least crossover problems. My shooting by the way
was done with a Hasselblad on a tripod i had to get the full cast and scenery in
one shot.
I heard you're supposed to try to tell them to take the gels out for the photo
shoot and that sometimes they'll listen.
That's Theatrical photography as i know it.

mark rabiner
:)

Replies: Reply from "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: [Leica] Film for school play)
Message from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Focusing the M6)