Subject: [Leica] RE: New M2 Owner Questions
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:34:48 -0500

Jonathan Lee  wrote:

>I second the positive opinion about early 35 summicrons.  I have the
>8-element one, which is presumably the version that was selling at the
same
>time as your M2. While not as sharp wide open as current Leica 35s, it
>certainly is plenty sharp at 5.6 and below.

I think it's interesting that three of us made the same recommendation.
This list is sometimes a bit gung-ho about the newer lenses, but the
older ones aint bad!

The only thing I would add for Jason is that I probably wouldn't
recommend the version of the 8 element lens with specs as much as I
would the one without. The optical formula is the same, but the specs
(which you don't need for the M2)  make the viewfinder darker. OTOH, the
price they fetch seems to be a bit lower.

Simon Stevens