Subject: [Leica] Re: What is fine art photography?
From: "Dave Fisher" <tekapo@golden.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:09:23 -0500

> From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: What is fine art photography?

> also, on this list, it is invariably those who find the emperor naked that
> are virulent name-callers, not those who disagree with them. i do not
> recall anyone being ridiculed on the lug because they didn't understand
any
> of the concepts you mention, or because they voiced the opinion that this
> or that photographer lacked talent, in their opinion. one need only scan
> the archives for dozens of examples of the contrary.

Made no such assertion in any respect about the LUG, Guy. If you go back and
reread what I wrote, it had to do with my art school experience and a
certain prof who assailed me for reading "The Painted Word." Nevertheless,
yes, I do find the art world in a state of neuroses. When a piece of art
requires an *explanation* for a viewer to *get it* it's usually toast for
me. No amount of explanation will make either of Minor Threat or Arvo Part
resonate with me. It's something I feel in my head, in my gut, and yes, in
my soul.