Subject: Re: [Leica] E******* WAS sherman
From: "Apostolos Mamatas" <a_mamatas@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:07:45 -0500

Let me preface this response by saying that I am unfamiliar wih Eggleston's
work, but here is my modest contribution:

>My guess is that if E******* had shot his pix on a larger format the
>argument might have been somewhat different. I don't suppose he would have
>won any new converts BUT I think perhaps people would have had to spend a
>little longer looking at the pictures trying to work out what he (and
>others) saw in them.

I agree. Format has a lot to do with an audience's perception when they are
aware of the size of the negative (though it is usually glaringly obvious to
the sophisticated viewer).

>The kicker is, of course the format is irrelevant in the end, and its the
>picture that matters...

I disagree. The format cooperates with the subject in many successful
pictures. Think of how different a landscape by Adams, or a cityscape by
George Tice would be in 35mm! Think of Edward Weston's pepper! The fact is
that LF is capable of the highest level of raw photographic description.
This allows  sometimes banal subject matter to become sublime. The format
informs the content. The opposite of this is when the subject matter is so
powerful, so compelling as to allow us to overlook technical shortcomings in
a photograph. These are the "decisive moment" shots.