Subject: Re: [Leica] Queries
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:39:15 EST

In a message dated 12/14/00 6:41:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, salex@idt.net
writes:

<< I wonder if anyone can help with this problem. I really don't know how to
 respond
 to LUG posts which are supposed to be light and humorous, but don't come off
 that
 way when they're first posted - only after the author explains how they were
 supposed to be taken. >>

    On the 'net, "Mr. Smiley Face" (: is your friend.  When he shows his
sunny countenance, the whole world smiles with him.(:(:  But when he's left
out, sometimes we think people are saying bad, officious and patronizing
things :(:(:(
    Then when the person explains that the bad thing :( was really a _nice
funny_ thing(:(:, we can all join the funny person in ridiculing the _silly_
people and their stupid questions (d'uh).
    But seriously, on what basis can it be said that posts ridiculing
anyone's questions, no matter how apparently ingenuous, become light and
humorous simply by virtue of having later been disclaimed as innocent jests?
 With or without explanation, "Tain't funny McGee" (spelling correction
invited).
    As for me, I like silly questions, 'cause I just don't know enough to
answer the big, heavy serious ones.  So all you nincompoops lurking out there
worrying about whether your questions are worthy of the LUG should go right
ahead and speak up.  If you are afraid of being derided or flayed alive
publicly, just e-mail me off line (doofus@schlemiel.org).  :):):)

Joe Sobel