Subject: Re: [Leica] Support Your Local Leica Dealer!
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:41:15 -0800 (PST)

Buzz Hausner wrote:

Let me take this opportunity to reiterate my oft stated advice.  If you

are fortunate enough to live near a Leica dealer, there is no
substitute for buying from the real person across the counter from you.
 I gladly pay the extra 5% sales tax for the right to see and feel
equipment...even new gear...before I pay for it and to have any
questions answered by a knowledgeable expert.  Also, the only time I
have ever had a problem with a piece of Leica gear, my dealer had a
replacement for me the next day and gave it over to me with a smile and
a handshake . . . (snip)
Buzz,

I fully agree. Being new to Leica, I need advice on what to buy, from
someone qualified to give that advice. I'm fortunate in having found a
dealer, here in Jakarta, who not only knows Leica but is also a member
of the local Leica Club. This guy is very knowledgable about the
products and is able to order anything he doesn't already have in stock
from the Indonesian importer. He doesn't simply attempt to sell
whatever maximises his profit but will genuinely try to meet his
customers' needs: e.g. if he suspects that a customer wouldn't really
benefit from an f/1.4 lens, he'll mention the availability of a less
expensive f/2.0 alternative in the same focal length.

This dealer recently sold me a Metz 32Z-2 flash and SCA-351 module. He
tried out the flash on an R-E body, to which was attached a 50 Summilux
lens. When I commented on the lens, which was apparently in perfect
condition, he told me it was for sale as a used item and asked if I
already had one. I explained that I didn't but felt that my existing 35
Summicron and 60 Elmarit macro were all I needed in the 'standard'
range for now. He didn't argue, he just let it go at that. Let me
assure you that this is NOT typical behaviour for an Indonesian
shop-keeper. I was expecting at least a five minute argument or even
the full half hour!

This dealer doesn't pester people to buy things they don't want.
Furthermore, his prices are significantly less than I've seen on the
web pages of well-known Leica dealers in the USA. This may be because
the stock is a few years old and the prices have not been adjusted
since before the Indonesian rupiah lost heavily against the dollar.
There has also been a drop in the demand for luxury goods since
Indonesia entered its economic crisis a couple of years ago. I feel
comfortable buying from him because I feel I can trust his knowledge
and advice.

Regards,

=====
Ray