Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Scanning, printing tips
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 21:42:59 +0100

Craig,

I have the Nikon LS-2000. While I am no expert, here are some common-sense
answers.

> 1) Are there any "standard" ppi/resolution settings people use in the N****
> scanning software?
> For instance, what is the best resolution to scan at? Should one choose the
> setting for "Multiscanning?" and if so, 1x, 4x, or 16x? Does one need to
> utilize the "Clean Image" process?, etc.

For images that you want to print, you should scan at the highest resolution of
the scanner, i.e. 2700. You want all the resolution you can get.

The multiscanning option gives you better shadow detail. So, if you have an
image that has a lot of shadows and they are important, scan at 16x. There are
no disadvantages to it, and the file is not bigger than at 1x, but the scan is
much slower.

The Clean Image or ICE feature is useful with E6 slides and color negatives
which have scratches or other blemishes. Do not use it with black & white film
or Kodachrome slides, it will mistake the grain for surface defects.

> 2) Without a tutorial on Photoshop, what are the basic settings for
> printing? I am not asking about adjusting the image, just "standard"
> settings to get me by initially. Is there a marked dropoff in quality from
> 1440 to 770 dpi? Is there a setting to save ink without to much degradation
> of the image?

You go into Image Size, make sure that the "Resample" box is NOT checked, and
then set whatever size you want (either height or width, the other will be set
automatically). Set the highest print resolution and turn Microweave on. To gain
real control of your colors, use a printer profile and turn Color Adjustment and
Printer Color Management OFF.

> 3) Is there a way to align the paper exactly, so there is no disparity in
> the white border surrounding the image?
> I have had fairly good success with the images themselves, but usually a
> warning window comes up telling me the image is too big for the paper and it
> adjusts itself somehow and the image ends up not being perfectly centered.
> When I set the width in Photoshop to 11'', the length never comes out to
> 81/2." It's always seven something. Is this normal?

Assuming you are printing a full-frame 35mm negative or slide, you are enlarging
an image that is 24x36mm, i.e. an aspect ratio of 1.5. If you then set the
height to 11", then the width will be 11/1.5=7.33". The only way to change this
is to crop the image.

If you are printing on U.S. letter size paper, 8.5x11", then you should set the
print size to something smaller than that, and select maximum print area and
centering in the print dialog. Your image will be centered and the borders will
stay the same from print to print (assuming of course that you keep the size the
same).

Getting good prints from scanned images in Photoshop is not simple. There is a
learning curve, and you will just have to climb it through some combination of
reading the books and trial and error.

Good luck!

Nathan
- --