Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: BESSA-R revisited
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 23:38:06 -0800

"William" <ohlen@sierratel.com> writes:

>I have been using the Bessa-R since early March.  I carry it every day.  I
>am only currently shooting about one roll of film per week.  I have used the
>M-series Leica since 1965.
>If the Bessa-R had an M-mount and if the Viso III would fit on it, I would
>seriously consider selling all of my M-cameras and using the Bessa body and
>some of the Cosina/Voigtlander lenses.  On the other hand, I hope I am never
>in the situation where I have to make a choice.

I seriously considered a Bessa R as an M alternative last year.  I had used
a IIIf LTM for years before.  I loved the Bessa R viewfinder.  Frankly, it
was the best RF viewfinder I'd ever looked through.  The problem was that
the short RF base was not accurate enough for a 90 or 85mm f/2 lens close
up.  Too bad, because I use 85 and 90mm lenses a fair amount.

Like you, I might have sprung for the Bessa if it had an M mount.  Then I
wouldn't be forced to make a choice between recent Leica and Cosina
lenses.  Summicrons--even non-aspheric Summicrons--are WONDERFUL.

One thing that I've never seen discussed about the Bessa is the effect of
camera vibration at slow shutter speeds.  The Bessa R has two shutters,
because its main copal shutter is not quite as light tight as a curtain
shutter.  Add the Bessa's additional outer "cap" shutter and you've got
considerably more vibration than either an M or an LTM shutter.  It's more
like a really quiet SLR.  You can feel the difference in your hands.

The question is, does this extra vibration make a practical difference on
handheld shots at slow shutter speeds (1/30, 1/15, 1/8)?  I've often been
able to get usable shots at these speeds with a Leica. It's more difficult
at 1/15 and 1/8 with my other camera (an Olympus OM-2 SLR).  I'm curious if
you've compared the percentage of usable shots you get with the Bessa vs.
an M at these speeds.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA