Subject: RE: [Leica] lenses suited for b&w vs. color
From: Doug Herr <merlin@flyingemu.com>
Date: 17 Dec 2000 04:18:12 -0800

On Sat, 16 December 2000, "Dan Honemann" wrote:

> Doug,
>
> There are two images I didn't see at first that I have to put into my
> favorites list, even surpassing the two I mention below: "Northern Hawk Owl
> fledgeling" and "Bullock's Oriole" ( both on your Ordering page, but the
> former seems to be missing from your Birds pages).  WOW.  Astonishingly
> beautiful.  And one was even taken with the Nikkor. :)
>
> Take a look at these LUGgers, if you haven't seen them already:
>
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/telyt/NHOW.HTM
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/telyt/BUOR.HTM
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/telyt/GRASS.HTM
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/telyt/INBU.HTM
>
> Dan

Dan,

Here's an on-list <BLUSH> to go with the off-list one.  Thank you for all your kind words.

There are some interesting stories behind each of these photos:

The hawk-owl was made with a 90mm lens!  The little dude was as curious as I was.  Because of the terrain, light and backgrounds, the best results were with the camera held at arm's length focussing by moving my eye around enough to find the central microprism area.  1/60 sec, f/2.0.

The Bullock's Oriole was in my parents' front yard.  Apparently a cat had attacked and grabbed the tail while the bird escaped with its life.  I maneuvered to get cherry blossoms to hide the missing tail.

The grasses were a tiny patch in front of the cabin I lived in at Denali National Park when I spent summers there doing odd jobs.  I passed it up several times but one day it grabbed my attention and demanded some Kodachrome.  The film came back from the lab and I thought "hey this is cool, but what do I do with it?".  A few months later I saw a nearly identical photo wrapped around the front & back of _Audubon_ magazine, made by a guy who I know was working in the area at the time.

The Indigo Bunting was made at a tiny Canadian National Park in Ontario called Point Pelee, east of Windsor.  Point Pelee is a point of land a few miles long that sticks into one of the Great Lakes and it's the first land northbound migrating birds see after crossing the lake.  It's a great spot for seeing and photographimg spring migrants because the birds are tired and hungry after crossing the lake and many are oblivious to humans, and because the point is surrounded by the lake it leafs out later than other areas, so there's lots of light and unobstructed views.  This particular bird was surrounded by photographers with f/6.8 Telyts.  He was busy picking bugs off this bush and each time he struck up a photogenic pose there was a volley of shots fired mostly at 4 frames/sec.  It was really amusing to see all the attention and expensive photo hardware focussed on this little bundle of fluff.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!