Subject: RE: [Leica] what would you do ?
From: "Mehrdad Sadat" <m.sadat@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 23:06:46 -0800

Nathan I am with you!!

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
[mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us]On Behalf Of Nathan
Wajsman
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2000 10:35 PM
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Martin,

I beg to differ. I do not have any statistics, but I think that the Internet
is
a lot more secure than most people think. Right now my wife is in the US
with
the children. She is probably using her credit card at least 10 times a day
in
different shops and restaurants. If two months from now I find a funny
charge on
my statement, I will have no idea whatsoever where the crook was. It is not
that
different from someone intercepting an email.

Having said this, most of the good online businesses I deal with do not
require
you to send your credit card details via email. They typically have a secure
web
site where you input your information only once (the first time you shop
there),
and all subsequent purchases do not require any re-entry of this. This is
how
Amazon.com, Foto Mayr, WHSmith.co.uk and many others work. In this kind of
environment, I submit that shopping online is more secure than shopping in
the
traditional way.

Nathan

Martin Howard wrote:

> The difference is that you have some idea of where your card has been and
> that the people working at the restaurant or telephone mail order know
this.
> Knowing where to look for the perpetrator wouldn't be that hard. SNIP

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch