Subject: [Leica] Domke 803 satchel bag
From: James Fassinger <james@stillscenes.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:18:00 +0100

Steve wrote:

>No doubt some people will suggest the Domke 803 satchel bag. I have tried
>that and don't use mine anymore mainly because it is so badly balanced that
>it won't stand up by itself, in fact a couple of times while putting it down
>it has fallen over and a lens has rolled out onto the floor. Also I find the
>fabric they use is to slippery and the auxilliary pockets are way to small
>to the point of almost being useless. Also it will only hold two M's with
>lenses and hood mounted plus a 90mm. This bag is fine if you are only
>carrying one M.

You can actually fit one more lens in as well...If you tape two rear lens
caps together (back to back) it will allow you to mount a lens on either
end. The middle padded section on the 803 is tall enough to then
accommodate the two lenses together. This allows you to carry 4 lenses
and two bodies. As far as it being balanced when setting it down, it's
really made to be used off the shoulder and on the run. You really
shouldn't have to set it down to take your gear in and out.

I have used these bags (803s) for years and find that they are great for
the traveling and assignment work I do. Especially if you have to travel
light and want to be inconspicuous.

James

james@stillscenes.com
Images at: http://www.stillscenes.com/