Subject: [Leica] Re: Scanners
From: stefan smith <stefan_asmith@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:29:22 -0800 (PST)

I use the little sibling of the LS-2000, the Coolscan
III (which I paid about US$600 for in Hong Kong). I
found it to be better value than the LS-2000 after
having the opportunity to compare the two side by
side: I saw just a very very very slight difference in
the depth of detail in shadow areas on slides when
using the LS-2000. I always found Nikon support to be
excellent, as they have a site with a technical
question/answer website.

The ICE clean image function is superb, especially
with all the dirty colour negs I have that were
processed in Afghanistan's filthy water over the
years. Combined with PShop, I've everything I need.

So far no reliability problems at all. Any problems
have always been related to SCSI card problems on my
PC. For my laptop I use the Adaptec PCMCIA SCSI card
- -- no problem.

As for alternatives, I found the HP S-20 Photosmart
(US$400) to be not up to scratch. Kodak have a new one
out that has 4000 dpi, and both USB/SCSI
connectabiity. At around US$1000, that might be worth
looking into. Nikon should in theory be updating their
Coolscan range, especially with regard to resolution.
I'll wait for the M6 digital.

Best of luck. stefan