Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 90mm lens Q's.
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 19:37:28 -0500

Randy Holst jotted down the following:

> I just signed on again after being away for a year and a half.  I
> appreciated everyone's willingness to help me with questions back then,
> and have a new question.

Flattery will get you anything.

> I'm looking to buy a used 90mm lens to supplement the 35/f2 Summicron-M
> on my M4 and I'm considering the Tele-Elmarit 90/f2.8 (two versions),
> Elmarit-M 90/f2.8, and Summicron 90/f2 (three versions).  I have a Leica
> lens identification book to help me tell them apart, but have no
> references to help me with the relative merits of each.  I'm rather
> partial to a version which has the built-in lens hood.  Can anyone make
> some recommendations as to which performs best or which to stay away
> from?

Oh boy, what a choice.  First the obvious.
    Do you need the extra stop?     -> one of the 'crons.
    Can you afford the extra cash?  -> the latest 'cron.
    Want the sharpest lens?         -> probably the latest 'cron.
    Want the most creamy bokeh?     -> the first version Summicron.
    Do you need the lightest lens?  -> the thin Tele-Elmarit.
    Like lens hoods that collapse
    when you least need them to?    -> Any of the cron's or the latest
                                       Elmarit.

A number of people have reported problems with their Tele-Elmarit.  It would
appear (though this is speculation) that there was some quality-control
problems in the manufacturing of that lens.  I *think* this only applies to
the thin version, but I'm not sure.  Then again, my thin version
Tele-Elmarit is perfectly fine, so I've never had the problem.  Check the
archives for the discussion.

The 1960's 'cron is large, but a lovely lens.  Most superb portrait lens
I've come across.  I'd skip the 80's 'cron and go directly for the new
ASPH/APO if you don't want the oldest version and have the cash to spare.

Stuff to check:
    LUG archives:   http://mejac.palo-alto.ca.us/leica-users/
    Erwin's pages:  http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/leicahome.html

M.

- --
Martin Howard                    | "We learned that there is no such thing
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU      | as a free launch".
email: howard.390@osu.edu        |   -- Dr P. Murdin on Cluster II launch