Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Profi-II head with RRS plates
From: Randy Holst <mistervolvo@home.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 19:00:57 -0700

Dan Honemann wrote:

> Ok LUGgers, I just received my clamps and plates from Really Right Stuff and
> I'm having a problem connecting the clamp to my Profi-II ballhead.

Congrat's on going the RRS way.  I've been using Bryan Geyer's stuff
ever since he started making it about 10 years ago.  Great stuff!

> The idea is to remove the round top plate that came with the Profi and
> insert a 3/8-16 stud that Brian supplied directly into the female socket of
> the ball stem.  Trouble is, that socket only has a couple mm of 3/8 threads,
> and then has brass liner threads that take it to the smaller 1/4" (this is
> to accommodate the Linhof reversable stud).

Take a close look at that brass "reducer" (3/8-16 to 1/4-20) to see if
there is a narrow slot in each side of the part facing you.  If there
is, all you have to do is find a screwdriver which will fit into both
slots at the same time and unscrew the reducer, being careful not to
damage the 3/8-16 threads you are screwing it out of.  If there is no
slot, you can use a stiff pointed (sharp) steel instrument to try to
coax the reducer out by turning it counter-clockwise.

If you can't removed the reducer by the above methods, then try sticking
a straight blade screwdriver into the center of the brass reducer.  The
screwdriver must be of a size that can be pressed into the 1/4-20 hole
and bite into the threads a little, then turn the screwdriver
counter-clockwise to remove the reducer.  This will damage the female
threads in the reducer, but they are cheap to replace.

If the reducer is stuck too tight to do this, then your next option is
to use an "easy out" broken stud extractor which will fit tight into the
reducer and remove it in the same manner as the screwdriver method
described above.

Good luck,

Randy Holst
Boise, Idaho