Subject: Re: [Leica] Bidding on eBay (was: something else totally unrelated)
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 11:33:52 +0100

Ebay is not the place to look for extreme bargains. Too many people,
essentially the online part of the world, are monitoring auctions and
place a bid, before things go away too cheap. It however depends what
you consider to be a bargain: 10% below average price/value or 50%. To
get 50% you need either an uninformed or desperate seller who in
addition does not know where to advertise his merchandise. Or the seller
wants cash quickly without hassle and without spending time on proper
advertising. As a buyer you need in addition patience and, at the rigth
time, sufficient cash.

A couple of times I scored extreme bargains outside ebay, e.g. an
assortment of new Leica items (M 50/2, 21mm finder, R rightangle finder,
1:1 Elpro etc. etc.) from a photo/electronic discount store for a
fraction (<30%) of the list price. They only deal in new, mainstream
photo gear, they don't trade in used stuff and apparently even the
manager of the photo department had no clue about 2nd values, where or
how to sell. He simply wanted to get rid of some remaining old stuff. I
still wonder why I wasn't arrested for plain shop lifting when I left
the store. I mean he or his colleques could have purchased it for
themselves and sell it for more elsewhere. So I suspect that the sales
people came to the photo department by accident, rotating between
household hardware, hifi, computers etc., not because of interest in
photography or photo gear.

On the other hand ebay is a place to conveniently buy and sell within a
short period of time. If you are not into accumulating gear, you buy
when you need something special for a job and sell after the job is
done, minimising capital outlay, insurance etc..

Hans-Peter

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Bidding on eBay (was: something else totally unrelated))