Subject: Re: [Leica] windchill
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 23:30:38 -0330

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, you wrote:

> Venturi Effect: (n) You've got a bug stuck in your altimeter's pitot tube.
>
> OK, seriously: From what I can find, the venturi effect deals with the
> conversion of some kinetic energy into a pressure differential.  So if two
> fat people are standing close together on a windy day, the low pressure zone
> created between them will result in them being sucked together.
>
> What's that got to do with windchill?

....ahhhh, that's what happens when you look physics up in a dictionary.

Another affect of air being forced through a constricted place (ala thumb
over garden hose ... or between to two fat people) such as a venturi, is an
increase in velocity as is does so.

As the velocity of the air increases, it's tempeture decreases.  This is
why pilots get carburator ice while the ambient tempeture may well be
above freezing. Yes, I know, the dew point has to be within a certain
range also to get the condensation which freezes and turns to ice in the
carburator venturi.... the only place it is cold enough to freeze as this
is where the fast moving air is cold enough.

It's been awhile since I did the physics for my pilots licence ... or
flown planes with normally aspirated engines but thats how I remember it.

SO! ... not only will the two fat people we drawn together, their sides
which are closest will be colder :^)  Sound convincing?

.....jeeeez, how do we get into these discussions?

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
http://www.straylight.ca/locke
PictureDesk International ...news pictures ONLINE
http://www.picturedesk.org

Replies: Reply from Dennis Painter <dpainter@Bigfoot.com> (Re: [Leica] windchill)