Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh of Leica lenses (was: don't laugh...)
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 22:54:22 -0500

Jesse Hellman jotted down the following:

> Erwin Puts writes "There is a certain harshness in the out of focus rendition
> that is typical of modern Leica lenses. It is related to the level of
> aberration correction."

I wonder whether he's reached this conclusion as the result of his own
investigation, or is simply echoing the findings of Harold Merklinger from
his article "A Technical View of Bokeh" (I posted the link earlier today)?

It's been some time since I read the article, but I recall Nikon claiming --
around the time of the introduction of their DC lenses -- that if you had
smooth foreground bokeh you couldn't have smooth background bokeh.  Which
seems to be contrary to some practical findings of Leica and Contax lenses.
Particularly the older Leica lenses (1960's and earlier) appear to have no
problem rendering both foreground and background bokeh as smooth as a baby's
bottom.  (Don't know whether this applies to the same degree to the newer
stuff.)

Secondly, if what Erwin claims above is true -- that there is a general
trend in modern Leica glass to have greater degree of ni-sen bokeh compared
to the older generations -- then they are shooting themselves in the foot.
Then again, I wouldn't put it past Leica to be so out of touch with the
people who actually use their products (as opposed to buying them as fashion
accessories) that they squander one enormous advantage they currently have
over their competitors.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | Lottery: (n) A tax on people who are
email: howard.390@osu.edu         | bad at maths.