Subject: Re: [Leica] ted grant put a flash on his m6?!
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 16:24:25 -0800

> In a message dated 26-12-00 16:26:55 GMT Standard Time, cassidy@netaxs.com
> writes:
>
> << recently ted admitted, somewhat reluctantly, to putting a flash on his M6
>
> Gerry Walden responded:

Hi Gerry,
Never fear my man it was sort of a once in a life time situation for food! ;-)
Allow me to explain.

I was hornswoggled into participating in this wedding due to my associate Sandy
Carter having dinner at a very excellent restaurant owned by an acquaintance of
ours. Marvelous food to kill for.  Anyway Sandy and Richelle, bride - mom to be
and owner of said restaurant,  were discussing weddings and photographers when
Sandy says, "I bet you could make a deal with Ted, a meal for his picture
taking.  :-)

A side bar to this: The next day Sandy left on a 3 week assignment in India,
leaving me to cope with this while she chuckled all the way to India! :-) I mean
she was gone before I knew there would be a phone call!

Next thing I know Richelle is on the phone sweet talking me into this "food for
pictures " exchange idea. She says," Ted I know you're a world famous
photographer, I also know you don't do weddings, nor can I afford to hire you!
Sooooooooooo how bout we make a deal?"  Man I'm a sucker for a sweet talkin'
woman every time! ;-)

Her voice is just drippin' honey and the next thing I know I'm in for the shoot
on the conditions that I do it my way, no posed nonsense, in B&W, my choice of
images and she sees no proofs!  And she feeds me very well!  Like pre dinner
drinks, wine, the dinner, with all the trimmings and after dinner liqueur,
dessert and coffee! :-)

I in my haste to be fed i neglected to ask abu time of day this would take
place! Unfortunately I was very hungry at the time of the phone conversation, I
probably would have sold my soul to this sweet talkin' woman while she was
whispering food things and wedding at the same time! However, the ceremony was
in the evening in a dark castle and little did I know how bad the lighting was
going to be for the old available light guy! :-) Until I went to the castle a
couple days before the ceremony.  OOPS!  Damn! I suppose I best take a "flash"
just in case!

Well good fortune, as I really needed it even with the Noctilux f 1.0 and ASA
800 film rating on Tri-X.  Trust me, for me to have to give into a flash,  let
alone confess I had to use it has been extremely difficult on my mental
stability for the past couple of days! ;-)  ( OK no smart ass comments about my
mental state at anytime!) ;-)  I mean this flash confession has the potential
for me being turfed from the "Nolight Nights of the Noctilux Guild of the world!
;-)

Yeah right! ;-)

So my friend the next time..... if ever, if ever I should be so hungry and
consent to shoot a wedding,  it'll only be because someone offers me $10 grand
AND food! :-) And there'll be a "lighting guy" in the budget to hot light the
place like a Hollywood set!

So you see this flash thing was an abominable situation necessitating an
admission of guilt to clear my conscious to save going to confessional! ;-)

ted