Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Big Bad Bokeh! ;-)
From: "Mickey Trageser" <mickeytr@maxinter.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:23:40 -0500

The bokeh controversy rages on in other camera circles as well. Well,
actually, it cycles. But what is common to various camera users is the
photographer's vision. We seek to exploit every capability of a lens when
envisioning the result of our efforts. Some lenses are just so much better
at providing bokeh that they become the darlings. For those of us whose eyes
are particularly appreciative of the quality of blur, the bokeh of a lens
may very well decide whether the photograph is worth taking. If you really
need a 600mm lens to get the image you desire, a 200mm won't do. Likewise,
if you envision an image that depends on the quality of bokeh, a lens that
has a less pleasing effect will not do either.

The appreciation of bokeh is subjective and quite certainly unseen by many.
But equally certain, it is a part of the artform. Like any artform, it's
difficult to get concensus on the importance of the individual elements of
which it is composed.  The contribution of bokeh is oftimes not realized by
the viewer, but critical just the same.

2 cents from the newbie.
- --Mickey Trageser