Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh controversy
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 17:08:38 -0800

OK! I just got back from shooting a roll of 220 Delta 400 with my Hasselblad ELM
on a tripod with Dave Rodgers; who was our with his 50 Summilux on his M6 and
shooting Neopan 1600 hand held.

I was all bent out of shape by this asperions to my 150 Sonnar's Bokeh.

So I shot most of the roll wide upon going for Bokeh effects; focusing on a
strong foreground to see how the out of focus background would break up. That's
F 4 and in many cases it was at 500th of a second!
500th of a second on a tripod and with the mirror pre popped as is so easy to do
with the ELM!

But what makes the story so poignant is that as I'm packing up my stuff I see
that my 150 Sonnar had gotten clobbered!
A huge deep scratch on the rear element.
A prism must have fallen in there!
But is was on the left side as i look in there. Outside of the square perhaps.
On the edge.
So I'm testing to see how much effect this gouge might have.
I shot a bunch stopped down as well.

A repair guy in town says Hasselblad is going to want the lens sent back to
Germany to match it up.

Dave says he got a front element replaced by Hasselblad in New Jersey no problemo.

The lens is circa 1979 black T*. The rear element would unscrew easily.
Some one does not want me to sell this lens apparently.
Anyone got a spare rear element laying around or know someone who could fix this?

Should i send it to New Jersey where the Soprano's can fix it!?

I should be shooting with a 120 and 180 anyway but this lens has sentimental
value and it's all i got longer than 80.
My whole portfolio was shot with it, check my "website" for some examples.
I've shot for 35 years and never damaged an element!

Bring on the stupid UV filters and lens caps and backs!

Help!!!

mark :) rabiner

Happy "Days of Non!"

updated temporary Website by "Foxy": http://spokenword.to/rabiner/