Subject: RE: [Leica] two sample images of great bokeh
From: Henry Ambrose <henryambrose@home.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 00:12:43 -0600

Dan wrote:
>I do?  Isn't it possible to choose those lenses that offer better bokeh?
>And, if so, isn't it worthwhile learning the difference?

I guess so - but if you are buying modern Leica lenses, they are all
really good. Some are completely spectacular others less so. All of them
exhibit nice bokeh.
There are no "dogs" in current Leica glass. You can make nice pictures
with any of them. I promise.

Bokeh is a somewhat unpredictable effect that you cannot exactly
replicate from shot to shot in real world use. Different distances,
apertures, backgrounds all make a big difference.

Not to rain on your parade! But buying and using one lens in particular
*extensively* is how to know if it speaks to you. The lens that you know
and use a lot, that's the one you'll make good pictures with. You'll know
what it does and know how to get the look you want. You'll even find that
more often than not you are standing in the right place before you look
through the camera. Maybe even have the camera nearly focused by feel too.
That's what to learn!

Henry Ambrose

Replies: Reply from "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net> (Re: [Leica] two sample images of great bokeh)