Subject: [Leica] Strapped in London
From: "Greg Bicket" <gbicket@home.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 18:47:13 -0500

Hi LUGgers,

Just returned from a delightful trip to London, and the R8 did daily duty.
I expect some fun rainy night shots of Harrod's in colorful Christmas
lights.  May have the last Leica photos of Harrod's with its royal warrants
displayed  [R19, R24 wide open from a 1/15th to 1/60th].  The next morning
was clear, and the warrant seals had been removed from the building.  Mr.
Fayad was said to have received word from the Prince of Wales that he'd not
be renewing his warrant after it expired, and so he must have concluded that
it was the first notice of the entire family to do so.  Apparently Mr. Fayad
had accused the royal family of complicity in the death of his son and
Princess Diana, and so the notice of non-renewal on the warrants may not
have been a total surprise.

Anyway, London in wintertime was a treat, and we enjoyed the added plus of
Hyde Park in the snow.  A wonderful city.  This trip demonstrated an
annoying shortcoming of the strap Leica provided with the R8--it has
insufficient grip to remain on one's shoulder, even when the camera is
lightly loaded.  With the winder off, and the 50mm Summicron - R, and this
is about its lightest configuration in my kit, it still repeatedly slid off
of the shoulder of leather and cloth coats alike.  We walked the city from
morning 'til dark, which is not nearly long enough, this time of year.
Slippage increased with heavier lenses/winder combinations.  I conclude the
"tread" of the strap works when it has soft cotton shirts or sweaters to
grab, but on my coats, it was aggravating.  The only way to wear it was
around my neck, and while this worked, I prefer to carry the camera over one
shoulder, with the body in the crook of an elbow.

Bumped into another Leica user in Picadilly, just near a wonderful [but
closed] Leica shop in the Picadilly arcade.  He was carrying an M3, and we
shared a few moments chatting about Leicas before foot traffic swept us
along.

It occurred to me that Leica or someone in the LUG would have come up with a
strap that makes a better combination.  I seek a strap with real strength,
more "traction" on my shoulder, perhaps wider, and with couplers that will
not scrape the black finish off of the metal upper of the camera's body.
Has anybody developed a better mousetrap that delivers these
characteristics?   Suggestions, please.

Enjoy the light.

Greg