Subject: [Leica] Re: M6TTL fill flash
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 05:18:05 -0800 (PST)

Henry Ambrose <henryambrose@home.com> wrote:

> What I want from the Leica TTL is equal (or near) performance
accuracy
> wise to the Nikon.

If you're only using available light, do you find your Leica accuracy
equal to the Nikon?  If so, you'll probably be happy with the flash
performance, too.

> It'd be great to shoot at f2 or 2.8 and 1/15-1/50 with 400 speed
print
> film and use -2 or even -3 to fill shadows and add to the exposure in
> general. In other words - available light shooting (indoors) with
> almost imperceptible fill. Just enough fill to sparkle things up a
bit
> and help with color rendition.

Actually, you may get worse color rendition with a small fill.  When
the available-to-flash ratio is 8:1, the flash isn't really going to
help balance tungsten lighting.  Worse, now you can't just blindly
color correct.  If you add cyan to remove the tungsten cast, the
subjects which are lit by your flash will end up too blue.  Take a
look at the family Christmas shots I posted earlier, and you can see
the color on some walls going from yellow (close to a lamp) to neutral
(closer to the flash).  In contrast, I've been able to totally color
correct shots I've taken with tungsten lights with *no* flash.  If
you're really concerned with color rendition, you might want to slap
an amber filter over your flash, so that all of your light sources
will be similar, and then color correcting is a lot easier.