Subject: Re: [Leica] titanium
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 18:43:02 EST

 The Titanium M6 is a bit of a misnomer. The top and baseplates are made from
brass and titanium coated. The lenses are the same as the chrome lenses as
they have the brass barrels. This kind of defeats the purpose of using
Titanium, which in the normal alloyed form is light and strong. In the Leica
case, it will wear off and the brass will show up underneath! I know this
from experience as my M6 Titanium is now a mixture of Titanium and brass
colouring, as well as somewhat dented in one corner. One of these days I will
take it apart and have it painted black!
It is a hardwearing surface though, it took a multitude of film and the
assistance of a car-door to give the camera it's true patina.
Tom A