Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: credit card fraud
From: "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 18:31:16 -0800

We had a different type of fraud experience originating in St Petersburg in
the fall of 1998.  For most of our trip we used USD currency.   On out last
day in Russia, St Petersburg, we used a Visa card to make two purchases.
At that time due to the drastic decline of the exchange rate USD to Ruble,
the priced had been adjusted for the depreciated ruble.

After we had returned home the Visa bill stated in USD arrived and our
purchases were twice as much.   The Russian vendors had waited three weeks
for the ruble to rebound by 100% of its position when we made the purchases
thus doubling our purchase price.

Roland Smith
roland@dnai.com