Subject: RE: [Leica] Tina's print pricing
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:09:33 -0800

I think Jim may have captured some of my thoughts....I just don;t want to
say thay either is right or wrong.... they are different in their
perspectives.....and I do have my favorite side.

I think there are 2 schools of thought, and instead of 2 theoretical
schools, they divide by income source....Those that MUST or CHOOSE TO create
art to live, and those of us that create art for fun.

I would be most happy to GIVE AWAY my art to know that it hangs in the
hallway of someone that likes the picture.  I could not do this if I were
supporting myself through phtotgraphy.

Do I think some photographer making his living in photography would do this
without ulterior motive?  We know they do not.  They sell their work for the
going rate.  Seemingly unrelated to the quality of the work or the artists'
reknown.

There are many on the NG that DO make their living taking pictures.  I want
to respect their feelings.  However, when I look at the general trash that
sells for literally hundreds to thousands of dollars per print, I do react
negatively.  I have visited several museums, and viewed their phtotgraphic
works.  Modern "masters" were in abundance.  I don;t think I would have
bothered to thumb through them at a swap meet.  OTOH, I have seen some work
at the Buena Park camera swap that was selling for $20 each that was truly
stunning.  He does not make his living selling pictures.  He AUGMENTS his
lifestyle or supports his hobby.

We are all free to price at whatever price we want.  I do believe that in
general the prices are out of control.  Digital could be the great leveler.
But beware that the pictures are not re-scanned and resold by your
customers.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net