Subject: [Leica] Pricing pictures
From: "Miguel Gil" <dtt2150@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 16:23:48 -0800

I think one cheats themselves if they price there work based on how much it
costs to take the photograph, ex. location fees, printing fees, equipment
cost, film cost, travel expenses etc.  Not to totally discount these items
in deciding how much to charge.  The thing is I rather sell one print a
month for a $1000 than ten prints a month for $100.

My work mostly involves the accounting profession.  They are the tightest
bunch of people I have ever known, but when you have something of value even
they are willing to pay top dollar.

Its hard to pass up several hundred dollars or even several thousands of
dollars per picture or job.  The thing you have to remember is that if they
come begging for you to do a job for the fee they first thought was
outrages. Then the thing to do is quote them a higher fee and see them
gladly pay.  Of course this assumes you have a valuable talent and you don't
jump up and down like a mad man.  I did this once and it cost me dearly.
Always be gracious.

I think this strategy is not an unique practice to photography.  Other
professions practice this all the time. To use an extreme example movie
stars(we all think we are movie stars)always ask, what most might think is
outragous amounts of money per picture.  The truth is they have a talent or
look that's in demand and they ask as much as possible.  Does a Julia
Roberts put in $20 million worth of acting per picture? Maybe, maybe not,
but she sees she has a value and asks top dollar for it.

If you think you are more talented than the next photographer why not ask
for more.  We will always have bottom feeders but there will always be
people with perceived talents or no talent.  Never sell yourself short.

We should not perceive photography as a way of producing cheap art.  Just
because a roll of film cost $5 and might yield 24 exposures doesn't mean
that should be your cost bases.  Charge as much as your talent allows you to
charge.  If I got a $100 in high school for a 11x14 black & white print, why
should I continue to ask for the same price today.

As most Leica users know with proper care a Leica M will last a lifetime.
This could only mean more profit as the equipment gets older.  I wont charge
less just because I don't have to buy new equipment.

I have friends who bust there humps off for $200 gigs.  Why do they do this,
its not because they do not have talent, its because they do not have
confidence in there talent.  I think even non-professional photographers
should ask for top price.  Lets not be Vincent Van Goghs'.  Newspapers,
magazines, book publishers are in the business of making money, a lot of
money for their shareholders, how could they stay in business any other way.
  Why should you help them make more money off your photography.

I agree with Tina, when she says we should'nt have a middle ground.  I give
away my photographs but I don't give it away at a cheap price.  Sorry if
this is to long but what's his face really p---d me off.

Mike Gil