Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Photography (US version)
From: Dennis Painter <dpainter@Bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:37:25 -0800

Jem Kime wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I wonder if any of you can tell me when the magazine started in the States,
> and whether it is still running as 'Leica Photograhy', rather than as the international 'Leica Fotografie' published in Germany?
>
> I'm writing a short history of 'Leica Fotografie' and wanted to mention its 'sister' magazine of course...
>
> Jem

Jem,

I'm a bit confused as your mention of 'sister' magazine and "Leica
Photography" makes me think you are speaking of the publication by E.
Leitz New York. Not the English translation of Leica Fotografie.

Anyway, I have "Leica Photography" from E. Leitz New York, Vol VL, No.
V, May 1937. Published price ten cents.

The last prewar publication was Vol VIII, No IX, September 1939, wherein
they stated a temporary suspension in publication, and go on to state it
was first published in December, 1932.

Publication apparently resumed in 1948 and for some reason they reset
the No. Vol. to start with No. 1 Vol. 1.

Dennis