Subject: Re: [Leica] Photos from a Paris workshop
From: "Mark_E_Davison" <Mark_E_Davison@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 12:25:57 -0800

Martin Howard wrote:

> > But just to confound matters, Gibson was toting a 90/2 APO ASPH.
>
> The party line? ;)

No, I think Gibson likes trying out many different pieces of equipment. In
his interviews he says he uses three lenses (35 50 90), but in reality he
uses three different focal lengths. I think he said he has 5 different 50mm
lenses of various types/vintages.  Also, he was trying out a 135 APO in
Paris, using an old bright line finder (I love the way you can mix old and
new on Leica equipment).

In my opinion some of his high contrast images appear to have benefited from
using lenses with a sharp "bite". Other images are more ethereal, and
aberration is good.

By the way, I mostly used 50s in Paris (50 DR Summicron in the day and
Noctilux at night.) Paris has wide streets, so you can often back up to get
some space. I did use an old Canon 135/4 for some shots out of my hotel
window. When Gibson critiqued the shots with the 135, he jumped on me for my
framing (I sliced some lovely Parisian oval window frames in two), but
failed to comment on the lack of micro-contrast (<grin>). Actually, more
embarassing yet, one of the photos he liked best in my portfolio was taken
with an Olympus C3030 digital camera.

Mark Davison