Subject: RE: [Leica] Outfit Opinion
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 21:59:03 -0500

> When I was deciding on lenses, I was convinced that the 35/90 or
> 35/75 combo
> was right for me.  However, I could only afford the 50 Summicron to begin
> with and my system grew from there.  I really like the M6 system
> I have and am now looking at an R8!

Rick,

I have followed exactly the same path, starting out with just my .72x M6 TTL
and the 50/2 summicron.  I'm getting the 35/1.4 asph and 75/1.4 next, along
with a Hexar RF as a second body.  I've heard a lot of the same complaints
you've mentioned about the 75 (stiff focusing, weak framelines, low in-focus
hit ratio), but have also heard they can all be overcome with dedication and
practice and that the lens is so fabulous it makes its shortcomings worth
overcoming.  But I can see the logic in the 35/2 asph and 90/2 apo
combination as well.

My choice for an R system, which will likely be my next move once the bank
account recovers, is an R8 or 6.2 plus 50/1.4 and 100/2.8 apo macro.  Not
much that can't be done with these two lenses.  The 100 covers the two
shortcomings of the M system--tele and macro.  The 50 is a great lens, good
for low-light shooting, and a universal focal length to cover the bases when
you (heaven forbid) leave the M behind on a shoot.

Happy shooting,
Dan