Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V19 #2
From: "Bernard Degaute" <bernard.degaute@village.uunet.be>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 06:21:42 +0100

>Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:29:24 +0100
>From: Pascal <cyberdog@attglobal.net>
>Subject: RE: [Leica] an appeal to photographer
>
>Although I am not a pro photographer (i.e. I don't make a living out of
>photography), sometimes people will ask for my services to shoot this or
>that event etc.
>When discussing costs involved, they almost always are surprised (to say
>the least) that they should pay more than the pure costs of the
>films+development+prints... After all, you are "supposed" to do this for
>fun, isn't it?
>Sometimes, if you make reprints, they even expect you to only charge them
>for the cost of the reprint (not the original film+development+print,
>since "I have already paid for/amortized that cost in the past").
>
>This is why I generally refuse such "offers", unless I really can't avoid
>it.
>
>Some people will believe that anyone with a camera can shoot decent
>pictures.
>
>On the other hand, if you ask a nominal fee for your work as a hobby
>photographer, much of the "fun" is gone since no faults are, of course,
>allowed and you're expected to "perform".
>
>Sometimes, it's a difficult trade-off for a hobby photographer.
>
>I'd be interested to hear how others in this (common, I guess) situation
>react!
>
>Pascal

Pascal,

I live exactly the same situation. For example for color prints (which I
don't process myself) people are surprised if I want more than e.g. 0.5 EURO
for a good quality 4x6 print because they usually get their out-of-focus
pictures in a 1- hour- lab for 0.2 EURO. For B/W I process myself or for
more special work (repro of old photo, ...)   I can make a *little* profit
but I don't expect to amortize my Leica gear  :-)
Last week I was in the the public at an official show organized by the city.
With my Leica of course, and everybody knows it because we never walk
'naked' of course. The pro photographs invited where off (Xchristmas
hollidays?). A politician asked me a picture to insert in their official
paper. What can I ask for? 1 Euro? They need a bill and so on or 100 Euro
and I'm considered as a thief or a fool. So I give the picture or I say : '
Sorry but in the rush I forget to rewind the film before opening my camera'.
So I don't run  after the customer.
A pro earns money with his gear and an amateur looses for it. Quality is
another matter.

Bernard

bernard.degaute@village.uunet.be