Subject: [Leica] Re: Lens cleaning advice: thumbprint
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 14:58:47 -0800

>Adam Bridge wrote:
>
>> Okay, I was cleaning my lens, I'd taken off the UV filter, and I TOUCHED
>THE DAMN COATED LENS. It has a map of Brazil on it now.

Adam,

Lens coatings are far from fragile. You would have to make a direct effort
to damage the coating. It is an ion deposit bonded to the glass. It is not
something that is just painted on. You can clean your lens as much as you
wish, using ROR or ClearSight (I endorse ClearSight) and a microfiber
cloth, or a shirt tail, or breath and underware, whatever.

It simply is not easy to hurt a lens. That said, I advise against breaking
the filter you have in front of your lens as the shards of filter glass
will gouge gashes in your lens coating. Filters are wonderful things for
enhancing a photographic result, but are a liability in all other respects.

Jim