Subject: [Leica] Re: 90mm Recommendations
From: "Jim Bielecki" <bieleckj@freeway.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 09:17:48 -0500

> Subject: RE: [Leica] 90mm recommendations
>
> Canon made a couple of good longish lenses,
> the last 100mm f3.5 and the 100mm f2, were both only available in black.
> They also made 85mm lenses but none of those measured up to reputations of
> these two.
> The 100mm F2 was supposed to be the equal of the early 60s Summicrons.
I've
> had both and see no real difference but then I tend to use mainly 400 ASA
> b/w film. I saw an early 90/2 recently for 190 UKP.
>
> Jem

Canon's 85mm F1.8 lens, the last of the 85mm's they produced, is the one to
get.  It was introduced in 1961 and was only available in a black barrel.
Dechert, and others, have long sung its praises.  It's pricey, though, and
relatively hard to find.  I've only seen a few on eBay after several years
of looking.

Jim Bielecki