Subject: Re: [Leica] photographers (Loengard)
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 16:29:10 +0200

>just wanted to know what you all think of the work of john loengard. i
>picked up a (used) book of his work the other day. it's called "pictures
>under discussion" and includes many images he did for life magazine. he's
>not a pj in the grand capa/salgado tradition, nor is he an "art"
>photographer - his work seems to fall somewhere in between.
>
>i like what i've seen of his (particularly his portraits, which are
>occasionally stunning) and was wondering if he had other fans on the lug.
>
>guy

me too, i liked the 'pictures under discussion'.

i also have his book 'life photographers, what they saw' which
contains recent interviews with 40-50 life staff photographers from
the start of publication until it ended. i liked the first half of
the book, but then the law of diminish return took its toll. it
became rather repetetive, so i have put it aside for a while.

loengard has also written a book called 'the negative and something'.
I would be interested to hear how it dealss with negatives and if it
is worth ordering, as i have not seen it in any bookshop.

chris
- --
Christer Almqvist
D-20255 Hamburg, Germany and/or