Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 questions
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 17:48:40 -0500

At 04:34 PM 1/6/2001 -0500, Bill Harting wrote:
>The M3 takes those wonderful Leica cassettes for the load-your-own-film
>types. The self timer is useful. The finder can be clear.... check it out.
>They may require service every ten or twenty years depending on use... It's
>pretty.

To be fair, all Leica LTM and M cameras will take the cassettes.  With the
late M6's, the baseplate should be replaced with that for the M4-2.  And
when the M3's were sold new, an annual CLA was strongly recommended though,
at this point, these were not easy to arrange in the US -- by the time of
the M4, Leitz had managed to put a trained repairman in most American
camera stores, so the M4 is more in need of these annual CLA's than is the
M3 or M2.

Don't fret too much over the RF.  I've been using M's for years, and the
only RF I had go blonko on me was that on an M4.  My M3 RF's have just kept
on keeping on, without a problem.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!