Subject: Re: [Leica] Comparison of Leica SLR and Contax SLR Systems
From: "Steven A. Melnyk" <melnyk@msu.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 10:36:24 -0500

The Contax camera is currently being produced by Kyocera.  This company also
produces the Yashica.  Yashica does not produce the Contax.  This is an
interesting relationship because, based on comments received on the Contax
mailing list, it appears that Zeiss has a significant influence on Kyocera's
camera designs.  For example, the AX was designed so that a user could have
AF without having to have motors or servos in the lens.  It was argued that
Zeiss felt that the current state of AF adversely affected lens performance.
My impression from the Contax list is that Kyocera recognizes that the major
reason that people buy Contax is because of the Zeiss lens.  If you look at
the bodies, relative to Nikon or Canon, they are not up to the same level of
bells and whistles.

Steven A. Melnyk
Michigan State University
Department of Marketing & Supply Chain Management
melnyk@msu.edu