Subject: Re: [Leica] Comparison of Leica SLR and Contax SLR Systmes
From: "Steven A. Melnyk" <melnyk@msu.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 11:30:50 -0500

My mistake.  The problems and now turnaround of Leica were described in the
November 27 2000 and December 11, 2000 issues of Forbes Magazines.  There,
the authors lay the bulk on the blame for Leica's problems on the past
manager and on the development of the R8.  This camera put the company into
head-to-head competition with the Japanese, where it did not do well.
Furthermore, cost considerations combined with poor initial quality, caused
extensive price cutting -- death to a quality company such as Leica.

Steven A. Melnyk
Michigan State University
Department of Marketing & Supply Chain Management
melnyk@msu.edu