Subject: Re: [Leica] IIIg, To Trim or Not To Trim?
From: Andrew Moore <dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:05:48 -0500 (EST)

> I have just returned from London where I acquired a beautiful IIIg from
> Andrew at The Classic Camera in Pied Bull Yard off Bury street. It also has
> the instruction book but nowhere in the booklet does it suggest that you
> need to trim the film leader as is the case with older LTM camera bodies. I

When Sherry Krauter CLA'd my IIIf, she included a photocopy of notice from
Leitz stating that the leader should be trimmed.  It was dated (by Leitz)
1981.  I strongly suggest you trim the leader per Leitz specs (10 cm or so
for leader length).  I used my IIIf for 20 years with no problems but I
also loaded film in a manner that was very "leader friendly" and painfully
slow.  But now I'll probably always trim the leader; the IIIf is so
wonderful to use after its CLA that I don't dare mess it up.