Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V19 #11
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 20:48:15 -0500

on 7/1/01 10:34 pm, Douglas Cooper at douglas@metaversalstudios.com wrote:

> Could someone please explain to me the difference between the old fashioned
> emulsions, and Tmax-like technology?  I assumed (wrongly, I guess), that
> Tmax was a dye-based emulsion, which yielded unsharpness when pushed, but
> not grain.

T-grain film is like normal silver halide film except the grains are bigger
and flatter (tabular - hence T), and the emulsion is thinner.

It's not inherently too contrasty, but Tmax films in particular have a
tendency to block highlights.

I cannot see the advantage of Tmax in LF photography except that it's easier
to control contrast -- they pull and push well. I personally find the
tonality of conventional films like Tri-X and (my faves) Agfapan 100 and 400
much preferable in all formats.
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com