Subject: [Leica] Rememberance Of Things Soon To Be Past
From: Robert Browne <rbrowne@iopener.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 00:26:08 -0500

 Kyle Cassidy wrote:

> linda and i have a friend who's from hiroshima who's a photographer.
> when she's in philly she's nuts for taking pictures, everything
> inspires her but when she goes home to see her parents, she doesn't
> even take a camera, she doesn't see any photos there. and there's
> certianly something to be said for fresh places giving you ideas.

Brougham wrote:

Maybe that's my problem.  I need to pretend that I'm a tourist here.
So...there's still almost a full day left in this week.  I'll go see
what I can find!

I ponder what is written above while I am in the midst of packing my belongings for a move from NYC to Santa Monica, Ca. at the end of the week. My thoughts go to some of the people and places here that I never photographed, thinking that they would always be around tomorrow or next week or next month.

While I am excited by the prospect of being in a new place with fresh eyes, I feel regretful of the lost opportunities I had. I'll have to come back as a tourist to make the familiar new again.

So I guess the moral of the story is this: Don't take for granted the people and places around you, thinking they will always be there. Especially people close to you. Try to keep your vision as fresh and inquisitive as a child. Use your Leica to ask the perpetual child's question "Why?"

Robert