Subject: [Leica] Provia 400F pushed to EI 1600 and Leica 400 2.8
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 14:40:43 -0400

Dear Lug:

Below is a copy of a message I sent to the LEG, but thought it may be of
interest to LUG members.  I apologize to those that subscribe to both lists
and have received this twice.

I few months ago, the Fuji rep gave me a roll of Fuji's new fine grain
slide film, Provia 400F.  I had meant to use it for football, but lost it
until last week when I came across it.  I had heard great reviews on it
from guys who shoot NFL football.  They had used it for the Night Games and
were amazed with the quality when pushed two stops.

I shot the hockey game this evening and tried pushing the new  Provia 400F
two stops to EI1600.  The results are much better than I was getting with
800 print film pushed a stop.  This is an awesome film for sports.  I have
attached links to a scan.  If this was on print film, the blacks would not
be totally black and would have a lot of grain.

I used the 400 APO-Telyt at 2.8 and 360th of a second.  Just a half stop
under 500th.    In addition, I mounted a FL-Day filter in the drawer which
got rid of most of the green cast.  When I scanned, the software got rid of
the rest.

Perhaps Ted Grant with his sports expertise would like to comment on
this.  He is probably familiar with results similar venues.

The image is at the address below.  The first is a 1024x700 134k image, the
second a smaller 800x600 80k image.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/hockey/Jan7-2000.jpg

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/hockey/Jan7-2000sm.jpg

This is an image shot last season on Fuji800 print film pushed one stop to
EI 1600.  It is much more contrasty and muddy looking, as most print film
looks compared to slides.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/hockey/mooseheads4.jpg

Regards,

Robert